Sunday, January 15, 2012

Anything is Possible

Apparently so. I'm still in a mild state of shock, but it's finally sinking in. Maybe I should explain, though I'm fairly certain most of you already know about this.

Yesterday was a SCA event, the Baronial 12th Night Celebration to be exact. It was a fun day all around. I got to see my awesome friends who I haven't seen in awhile and had a ton of fun watching the Majesties' son, Travis. I was completely  EXHAUSTED by the time evening court rolled around, considering the wee lad wouldn't eat ANYTHING except grapes and candy canes no matter how hard I tried to convince him that chicken in fact does taste good. He was a little ball of energy all day and was permanently attached to my hip. Which was fine, until court time rolled around and I had to give him back. He didn't like that too awful much.

Northern Cross
In the afternoon my friends and I petitioned to join the household of Northern Cross. They are an awesome group and are truly like a giant family. Sadly, my sponsor wasn't able to be at the event, but I'm sure that I'll see him at some point soon. We are... I'm not quite sure what our official title is, but we have a year until we are full members. At least that's what I think is going on. Regardless, I'm very happy that they accepted us into the family. And I can't wait to fight with them at Pennsic, which is going to be TOTALLY different this year. More on that in a moment. We were told to tell a little bit about ourselves and I went first. Slightly terrifying, since I had NO idea what to say other then "Hi, my name is Sorcha." That didn't last long, since the members started joking and saying suggestions. Some were real, such as what I could bring into the group and others were silly, like what bribes I could bring. I chose to answer the later and said I could cook, to which I heard someone say "We're keeping her for War!" Everyone laughed and it was easier to answer. I was given a belt token-thingy (not quite sure what it's REALLY called) and welcomed into the household. Ragna went next and it was then that our illumination works were remembered and shown to the household. They were stunned (while Ragna and I turned about five shades of red) and through the process the three of us (being myself, Ragna, and Luca) were welcomed in.

Order of the Keystone
Anyway, between that moment and court, I found myself occupying the little one and getting my exercise for the day. When the call came for court, I had to hand him over, which (like I said) didn't go over well. But regardless I made it up to the main room and into a chair. Court was entertaining, since their Majesties love to do silly things for court. The court theme was tennis apparently, since the Queen and the Baroness had ping-pong paddles and were hitting pieces of candy to each other. And the Heralds were passing the court sessions back and forth with the candy pieces. It was pretty entertaining. Their Majesties were giving out awards and at one point, they called me up. As I'm walking up I'm thinking "what on Earth could I have done?" The Queen is grinning like the Cheshire Cat and so is the King. They start talking about everything they have heard about me and had witnessed themselves. The Queen specifically mentioned that i watch their boy, and I turned about as red as the cushion I was kneeling on. Then they turned it over to the Herald and one of the Ladies read off my scroll. I kept glancing at the Queen, who kept smiling at me and giving me thumbs up. I had no clue what was going on. Then the Lady read that I was being inducted into the Order of the Keystone and I felt my eyes grow huge and an even bigger grin form on my face. A Keystone!

I was in a state of shock as the Queen gave me my medallion and she told the populace that she forgot to mention that I was helping Luca teach her how to fence. Then they handed me my scroll and had the Order stand. Holy moley were there a lot of them!!! I honestly don't think I came out of the shocked state until dinner, or shortly there after. I was never expecting a Keystone, ever. Seriously.

After court was finished, I went with Ragna and Duo to Pizza Hut for some warm food. As wonderful as the potluck food was, we REALLY didn't feel like eating it again for dinner. And then we went home and I proceeded to pass the heck out. Running after a little kid all day was a little bit more exhausting then it originally felt like. Ha ha.

That's all I have to report for now. Next event that I plan on being at will be Ice Dragon, unless by some wild chance I decide to go to White Hart. For now though, I must go and SLEEP. Being sick sucks, just for the record. Tootles!!!

1 comment:

  1. Vivat!
    Also, Pizza Hut is good, but it can do terrible things to me...

    ReplyDelete