Sunday, September 18, 2011

Long Live the King, Queen and AEthelmearc!

So yesterday was the Coronation of the new King and Queen of AEthelmearc (which, for those of you who may be reading this who don't know, is the SCA kingdom that I'm in. Just google it.) and I happened to be there. Much to the annoyance of certain band people, but I'm going to ignore that fact. The new King is Isenwulf and the lovely Queen is Rosalinda, who are two REALLY awesome people with a great sense of humor. As a slightly girly side note: the Queen's dress was AWESOME!!!!!!! Epic pretties abound!

Anyway, the crew I went with was my, well I guess not "home" group, but I call them that cause I'm most of the year anyway! Silva Vulcani is our name. After dealing with traffic and all the fun that goes along with a road trip, we arrived up in Grove City to the location of the event. Took us a little while to figure out what was going on for the day, but it was fun. I'm officially part of the Queen's guard now as a result of the day, which is pretty cool. Actually, out of the eight of us that went, seven of us signed up for Queen's guard. Pretty sweet!  

There was a fencing tourney during the day, which I've discovered is a rare thing at Coronations. Further proving our new Royals are awesome: they apparently requested that there be fighting during the day for the populace to enjoy. I believe there was also heavy weapons fighting and a thrown weapons tourney as well. At any rate, I didn't fight in any of these for two reasons: one, I had a fever the evening before and was feeling off and two: I was one of many Royal baby-sitters for the day. Their Majesties have the most ADORABLE little boy who I absolutely fell for at Pennsic War 40 this past August. He apparently never forgot me because according to his mother, upon seeing a picture of me on facebook he promptly screamed "My girl!" and asked his mom when he could see me again. Perhaps I should point out the boy is 3. =p

So I spent most of my day entertaining said little one with coloring books, Matchbox Cars, and running the length of the parking lot about 5 times over. Let me point out that running in a dress: not an easy task when chasing a young one. And then we found bubbles. Oh was that an adventure unto itself. 

There were two courts during the day; the first one was when the new Royals were crowned and everyone in a big group like the Laurels swore fealty to them. After this court, we were given lunch (which wasn't that great, but you learn not to be too picky) and then the fighting started until second court. However, during that in between time, the Royals would sit in State and people would bring them gifts or swear personal fealties to them. I decided, being as I really like Rosalinda and Isenwulf, that I was going to do so. Had a mini stupid moment, but they just laughed and helped me stumble through it. 

One of our new members won the most chivalric during the fencing tourney, which was slightly odd and cool at the same time. Poor kid about had a heart attack when they called his name in court! Other then that, not much happened in court. A friend of ours, and I can't remember how to spell her name, was asked to join the Pelicans...or was it Laurels? Either one, it was still awesome. The King also had his "Brute Squad" (yes, that was their name) go and find a young lady to give her an award, just to entertain us all. Also, one of the lady's in the kitchen came running out at one point, chasing a teen dressed as a cockroach screaming "No roaches in the kitchen! Get out you fiend!" It was hysterical. I'm hoping that all courts for the next six months are as entertaining =P

Also, during the day I made another slightly spontaneous decision. I say "slightly" because it was about something I had been concidering for quite some time, but decided that it would be best to just follow my gut and go with it. I decided to petition to join a household; aka Northern Cross. They were the group that let Silva Vulcani camp with them at Pennsic War 40 and they are a really nice group of people. Isenwulf and Rosalinda are actually part of the household, and there are some other people that I know that are apart of the group, a few of which were Royals at one point. I will formally petition at War Practice in May, though I have no idea how I'll go about it. I still have many questions to ask. =P
After the event we went for our usual dinner together with friends. Those who went to Ice Dragon this past year will remember the King's that we stopped at. Well, that's where we were. Conversation varied, but mainly about how the US education system is shit and how we'll be living Fahrenheit 451 soon. And then there was the long drive home, in which we got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, because people in PA don't know how to drive.

Other then that, life is pretty dull. I have officially one week to memorize my music for marching band, since Allentown is officially a week away as of today. This is good and bad: good because I get to see someone that I miss very much and bad because, well I have no idea how I'm going to learn my music before then! :P

Till next time: Long live the King! Long Live the Queen! Long live AEthelmearc!

1 comment: