Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remember Remember...

Remember, Remember,
The 11th of September
Terror hit our hearts
I know of no Patriot member
Who will let the 11th of September
Ever be forgot

Ok, so I rewrote the words. By now, thanks to a film, many of you are familiar with the Remember Remember the 5th of November rhyme. But the question is, do you remember where you were 10 years ago to the day? I certainly do. 10 years ago I was sitting in Mrs. Carland's English class, cursing my vocab book when the math teacher came in and took over for her while she left for the teacher lounge. We later found out that, while the high school (including the 7th graders) were allowed to watch the news, the teachers were under strict orders NOT to let 6th grade and down see ANYTHING about what was happening. All day long the teachers went in and out, most of them crying. Classes were giant study halls. Recess was longer that day, and our teachers kept looking at the sky nervously and then looking towards the power plant that was only a ten minute drive away. 

I remember getting off the bus and my mother was waiting for me. She hadn't done that since I was in first grade. She asked me, in a careful neutral voice if I knew what had happened. I told her no; even the bus driver (who was my uncle) had kept the radio off and hadn't answered my questions on the way home. My mother nodded and sent me inside, staying at the bus stop for my sister. I remember walking in the door, seeing my step-father watching the TV. And I remember turning, almost in slow motion, toward the TV just in time to watch the news replay the first plane crashing into the Twin Towers. I remember watching each crash in turn, and learning years later that my biological father had actually been at the school, saw they weren't sending us home and then left me there, instead of taking me home. Boy was that a fun day when mom found THAT out! :P

I wonder if, forty years down the road, if people will still remember 9/11 as vividly as we do now. As a history major, I have learned that people forget so much about their past that they become ignorant to their future. As a student of my great-grandmother, I learned the importance of remembering the past and making sure that future generations know of the past. I can still hear her telling me stories of the morning after the Titanic sank, and the news boys calling out the headlines. I can hear my grandmother telling me of the Pearl Harbor attack and holding my Uncle, still a baby, in her arms while listening to the radio. I wonder, years from now after I'm dead and gone, will my grandchildren remember me telling them about 9/11. Or will it be erased from the history books like so many things are. 

OK, enough flashback :P I've bored you enough already. Other then the remembering and the wondering, life has moved on in these 10 years since. 10 years ago I was studying vocab on 9/11; now I'm working on my Music Comp. homework and still hating every second of it. I guess not much has changed in that respect: still hate homework. :P Seriously, has anyone out there ever spent twelve years only knowing how to read Treble clef, then tried to learn bass clef, alto and tenor clef all at once? And UNDERSTOOD it?! Seriously, I give bass players more credit now: wtf guys?! What's the secret to understanding this stuff?! Well, I suppose I should probably be trying to figure it out instead of being on here asking imaginary bass players what the heck is up with their scale. 

Till next time: God Bless America

No comments:

Post a Comment